Re: TECH: PROPOSED GRAMMAR CHANGE X3: Extension of JA

la xorxes. cusku di'e

> CHANGE X3
>
> PRESENT LANGUAGE:
>
> JA and JOI have very similar grammars, but JOI is allowed in many
> cases where JE is not.
>
> PROPOSED CHANGE:
>
> Allow jeks wherever joiks are allowed.
>
> RATIONALE:
>
> It simplifies the logical connective system. With this change (plus change
> X2), JA becomes the only logical connectives ever required. The others are
> still available for those who prefer them.

I myself proposed this some years ago, but I was persuaded to withdraw it,
and I think the objection is the same that met my proposal: we are already
too close to "anything goes" in syntax.  It will become too easy to make
mistakes with logical connectives (which are a critical part of the
logical-language core) that are grammatical but don't mean what you want.
Lojban is altogether too rich in such things already.

--
John Cowan					cowan@ccil.org
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban.