Re: FAQ - please comment

> Lojban List FAQ version 0.5     Dec 7 1995

Excellent effort!

> 4. What are those lojban word that you are using even in English text?
>    What's all the other jargon and acronyms you use?

Add:
tanru - a phrase formed of two or more Lojban brivla
cmavo - a "little word" showing structure rather than carrying meaning

> 8. What messages are appropriate for the Lojban List?
> Beginners are very encouraged to post.  Anything's appropriate as long as the
> title approximately reflects the content, and you're not selling magazine
> subscriptions or mail-order brides (exeption: it's OK if it's in Lojban!)

Add:  You can post on any subject in Lojban, or about Lojban in any language.

> 10. Are there archives?  WWW site?  ftp site?
>
> Web site: http://xiron.pc.helsinki.fi/lojban/lojban.html
> FTP site: powered.cs.yale.edu
>         in directory /pub/lojban
> Archives: ??

The archives are on the FTP site in directory /pub/lojban/list.

> 11. What's available in languages other than English?
>
> There is a brochure in Esperanto and Jorge and Jose are just finishing
> up a translation of the gismu list into Spanish.

There is also a brochure in French and one in Russian.

> 12. What software's available?
>
> Parser - on the FTP site
> Logflash I - on the FTP site
> Logflash II - on the FTP site
There is no Logflash 2 at present but there is Logflash 3 (teaches cmavo).
Logflash 2 was meant to teach rafsi.
> Prolog Semantic Analyzer  http://xiron.pc.helsinki.fi/lojban/analyser.html
Random Sentence Generator -  currently only available by mail.
Lujvo program - soon to be available on the FTP site.

> 13. Who is everybody?  Who's in charge?
>
> James Cook Brown
>         The inventor of Loglan - not associated with Lojban now

That's Cooke, not Cook.

> John Clifford aka pc    pcliffje@CRL.COM
>         A linguist who's been involved with the project for a long time
A logician (specializing in tense logic) rather than a linguist.

> 14. How many people are there in the Lojban community?  How many can use Lojban,
> and how well?

There are about 600 people on the hard-copy mailing list, most of whom
have a rather low-level interest: they get the hard-copy newsletter
"le lojbo karni", which hopefully will have a new issue in January.

There are generally about 90 people on Lojban List.  Maybe 15 people
post regularly.

> 15. What parts of the language are well worked out, and which parts are in flux?

The phonology, orthography, and morphology have been essentially stable
since 1988, except for a slight change in what counts as a legal fu'ivla.

The gismu list has been stable since 1988, except that about 25 gismu
have been added and 2 gismu changed.  This includes the words themselves
and the English keywords.

The rafsi have been stable since 1993, when they were radically changed.
Much existing text has not been updated, although a program to do so
has been written by LLG.

The place structures have not been formally baselined, and a few changes
are still occurring, but the vast majority of them are stabilized by
human inertia.

The grammar has been basically stable since 1993.  A few marginal changes,
essentially expanding what can be said, are now being considered prior to
publishing the reference grammar.

The basic semantics are stable.  There are still ongoing disputes about
"how to say it best in Lojban"; we expect these to continue indefinitely.

> 17. What projects are being worked on?  When will they be done?

The FTP site is maintained by Erik Rauch, who acts by requests from Bob
or John Cowan.

> 18. What can I do to help?
>
> A few possibilities:

>         Come to LogFest in July/August
	in Fairfax VA (near Washington, DC), U.S.A.

--
John Cowan					cowan@ccil.org
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban.