Re: TECH: fuzzy logic proposals

John:

>I am now proposing the addition of two conventions for handling fuzzy logic:
>
>1) for fuzzy truth statements, a convention that "je'a xi <number>" reflects
>the degree of truth of the statement in which it is embedded, thus:
>
>1)      mi je'a xi pinomu blanu
>        I am (5%-true) blue.

I find this use of je'a highly idiomatic and not really consistent with
other usage and the definition.  It really requires redefinition of je'a
to make any sense to anyone who doesn't know the idiom, or "convention".
I do not object in the slightest to this kind of  "slang" outside the
logical and quantificational part of the language. Here I find it like
useing a pipewrench where a tweezers is the appropriate tool.

This is a good example of the problems of semantic overload and multiple
meanings that will occur without provision for language change. All in
all a good argument for the CLD (committee for language design).

>This is distinct from saying I have a 5% probability of being blue; probability
>does not enter into it.  A die has a 1/6 probability of coming up deuce, but
>it does so with a degree of truth that is 1 (with 1/6 probability) or 0
>(with 5/6 probability): not fuzzy at all.  I had previously proposed this
>convention.
>
>Claims using this convention can be rewritten to use "jei" thus:
>
>        da je'a xi <number> broda = le jei da broda du li <number>
>
>2) for scalar claims generally, a new cmavo of selma'o MOI (for discussion
>purposes, "fiu'i"), with tentative place structure:
>
>        x1 is at <number> location on scale x2 (of type x3?)

djer:

I find the honorable introduction of a new cmavo a perfectly good idea,
but again that makes just John and I so far who think so. Once more,
something for a CLD to chew on.  Fuzzy logic is too important a subject
to be tossed off at the last minute before the Big Freeze.  Decisions
like this lead to confusion later.

But I respect John's effort to accomodate Steven, even though I oppose
it in principle as not a complete and well discussed solution, which it
cannot be given a time lock.

jlk@netcom.com