*old response on the net community as representative of LLG

Steven Belknap:
>In my suggestion about encouraging net access, I was referring to the
>group lojbab mentioned, that is, people previously interested in lojban
>(or Loglan) who do not currently use the internet.  Perhaps I am wrong,
>but I believe most of these people are from places where they could get
>internet access without a big monetary outlay.  I had a homeless patient
>in Chicago several years ago who was a regular on the internet.  He had
>no home, no monetary income, no family, (and was rather, shall we say,
>unconventional in his political views), but he could get access to the
>internet through a public library in the Chicago suburbs.  My point is
>that the situation regarding 'net access is changing very rapidly in
>many parts of the world.

It is true that msot of the people who are actively interested in
learning Lojban COULD get on the net if they chose.  It is also clear
that not all of them so choose.  Our mode has to be to reach out to THEM
not make them put themselves out to reach for us.

In particular, of the 16 voting members of LLG, my wife Nora, and
Athelstan, and David Twery are the only ones not on the net.  But of the
other 13, only 6 or 7 of them are actually on Lojban List.  That is less
than a majority.  And I am pretty sure that not all of those read much
of the discussion.  Sylvia Rutiser is one of the longest standing
skilled Lojbanists, has been on the list for years, yet almost never
posts anything, and has said that she doesn't try to read everything.

>Incidently, there are several groups in the USA which donate used
>computer equipment to needy people in other countries.  You can find out
>about them on the net.  That won't help with modem connections though.

It also may not be much of a solution in some places.  I was told that
even though the country of Georgia is on the net now, there would be no
point in donating computers to people in the country - things of value
of that sort that are not nailed down disappear very quickly.

lojbab