Re: GEN: almost-PROPOSAL: intervals

> I'll have to read the rest off line.  Russian examples would take my
> looking up
> in a book, because I can;t always keep things straight in my head.
>
> But the four possble cases relating two events are
> imperfective imperfective
> imperfective perfective
> perfective imperfective
> perfective perfective
> and each has a colloquial meaning in terms of simultinaeity vs.
> sequentiality.
>
> Ya chitayu gazetu kagda smotr'u televisor
> I read the newspaper while watching TV  imperfective imperfective

So you use "when" to bind them. OK, Croatian is similar in that,
but we can't use the same connective for those purposes:

C^itam novine kada gledam televiziju
I am read the newspaper [every time] when I watch TV.
I do my newspaper-reading while watching TV.
.i mi na'o tcidu le karni ca'o lenu jundi lo se tivni

C^itam novine dok gledam TV.
I read the newspaper while I watch TV. (Now, or usually).
.i mi tcidu le karni ca'o lenu jundi lo se tivni

> Ya prochitayu gazetu kagda smotr'u televisor
Proc^itam novine kada/dok gledam TV
I read through the newspaper while watching the TV.
(Same distinction as above: "kada" means usually, "dok" can mean one
instance, at least with the present tense - I can't really decide if
other tenses behave similarly)
.i mi [na'o] mu'o tcidu le karni ca'o lenu jundi lo tivni

> Ya chitayu gazetu kagda posmotr'u televisor
C^itam novine kad pogledam TV.
I read the papers after I take a look at TV.
.i mi na'o tcidu lo karni bazi lenu co'i jundi lo tivni
(We have another verb to signify "done watching":
C^itam novine kad odgledam TV
.i mi na'o tcidu lo karni bazi lenu mu'o jundi lo tivni)
(Can't use "dok" here... But you can use "dok ne": means "until")
(I got it... The {na'o} part does come from all this being in present tense)

> Ya prochitayu gazetu kagda posmotr'u televisor
Proc^itam novine kad pogledam TV
I read through the paper after I take a look at TV.
.i mi mu'o tcidu lo karni bazi lenu co'i jundi lo tivni

The difference between {mu'o tcidu} and {co'i jundi} comes from the
difference in the types of event contours (Uh, am I getting good at this
lojban terminology!)

co'o mi'e. goran.