Re: "except" found?

>And:
>>It's very clever, but don't you share my discomfort at using discursives
>>in this way?

>I agree, but the same happens with "except" in English.

Then let's try extra hard not to be malglico!

>>Why do you have to press UI into use
>>for things that really ought to be handled by the logical bit of the
>>bangu? -- feo.
>
>Well, because I want to be able to use the language spontaneously at
>some point. To figure out the underlying logic of some complexes like
>"except" takes some thinking, and the same to process it from the
>receiving end. Higher level shortcuts like "except" are useful, I think.

But this is an interesting S-W test.  You say it takes some thinking at both
ends.  It takes thinking at both ends to produce any Lojban at all, since
none of us are super fluent yet.  Is it possible that thinking through the
underlying logic on the receiving and sending ends, is only a necessity
because we haven't been raised speaking Lojban?  Maybe jboverba would have
no trouble with it.  Perhaps po'o is a "high level shortcut" only in the
perception of native speakers of Spanish and English?  It might even be
confusing and counterintuitive to native speakers of a hypothetical
lojban-without-po'o.

Just a thought,

                     ____
 Chris Bogart        \  /  http://www.quetzal.com