Re: Tech: fuzzy: kamkuspe

la xorxes. cusku di'e

> I prefer to say that the paint measures so and so on the color scale,
> rather than that the color of the paint is such and such number on the
> scale.
>
> The case is analogous to any other measure word in Lojban. Do you say
> {le dargu cu mitre li ki'o} = "the road is in meters 1000" or
> {le dargu kamymitre cu mitre li ki'o} = "the road length is in meters
> 1000"? I think that the first is the correct one, and in any case it is
> how usage has proceded. Another example: {mi nanca li reso} = "I am
> in years 29" and not "my age is in years 29".
>
> In other words, the way Lojban handles measurements is to put the object
> as the first argument and the number as the second argument, not the
> property of the object as the first argument.

I think Lojban has to tolerate either form, but clearly the latter case is
the predominant one:  we have to be able to say both

1)	le mi ni condi cu mitre papisore
	My height is-in-meters 1.82

and

2)	le mi ni srukamda'o cu mitre papinomu
	My diameter is-in-meters 1.05

and clearly

3)	mi mitre papisore
	I am-in-meters 1.82

is merely a shortened form of the previous claim.

> (NB: I suppose that the proposed cmavo is fi'u'i, not fiu'i, which must
> violate some morphology rule or another. If fiu'i were allowed, how come
> that the simple fiu is not?)

Correct.  (The life of an Authority is hard; my typos become the topics of lengthy
discussions, most notoriously "je'a xi" when I meant "ja'a xi".)

--
John Cowan						cowan@ccil.org
			e'osai ko sarji la lojban