Re: place switching cmavo...

On 1996-11-12 "Trevor C. Hill" <trevor@AMON-RA.RES.CMU.EDU> writes:
> ...  It seems to me that because the places are, for the most part,
> ordered by frequency of use, these words should simply take a certain
> place (x2 for se) and put it at the front, leaving the other places in
> their original order...
  (because you usually want to fill x1 and so need "fa" as well as "se".)

I also have noticed that effect.  If it were five years ago I would have
(and I think I did) argued to have conversion operators just yank a
place rather than swap places.  But we now have the inertia of a fair
amount of text written to the original TLI behavior of conversions, plus
a baseline, so my support for the idea has to be virtual, not actual.

-gua!spi conversion operators do not swap places; they leave remaining
places in the original order.

James F. Carter        Voice 310 825 2897       FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet;  6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA  90095-1555
Internet: jimc@math.ucla.edu (finger for PGP key)
UUCP:...!{ucsd,ames,ncar,gatech,purdue,rutgers,decvax,uunet}!math.ucla.edu!jimc