Re: lojban imperfections?

Lojbab:
> >Is there anybody in the world fluent in Lojban, speaking fast and
> >naturally, just as an Anglophone speaks English?
> There is one such person, Nick Nicholas of Australia, who has seemed fluent to
> his listeners, but since no one is a fluent listener (i.e. can follow him in
> detail at that speed), he has to slow down a lot.  He also might make a few
>  errors, but few detect them, and his written Lojban is of high quality.

No discredit to Nick, but that is a great exaggeration. Admittedly,
I heard him when he was some years out of practice, but it would be
fairer to say that it was halting, due, I'd have thought, to his
having noone to speak it to, rather than to a lack of knowledge of
vocab. Maybe the fairest comparison is with non-native speakers of
English who read and write English with ease but who never have the
chance to speak it.

I can't assess Nick's powers as a hearer, because I have not heard
anyone fluent enough to put him to the test.

coo, mie And