Re: PLI: evidentials in reported speech

The simple answer is that unquoted UI (or most of them) hold
at utterance level and are not subordinable within, say, a
reported jufra se valsi. They are like "Wow!" and "Ouch!" and
"OOH, there there" and parentheticals like "(I reckon)", etc.
Similarly in English "He read that Julie Christie (phwoar!)
plays Gertrude", said by me, the "phwoar" expresses my emotion.

If you wanted to report me saying "JC (phwoar!) is playing G"
then you might say "La and said lickerishly that JC is playing
G", for example. Same goes for Lojban.

Or have I missed the point of the debate?

coo, mie And