Re: RET: proposing a lujvo

la markl di'e cusku

> Really?  We don't have to reach an explicit
> agreement on the place structure of the lujvo?

If you want the lujvo to appear in the soon-to-be-
-published dictionary with your proposed place structure,
you have to reach an explicit agreement with Lojbab. :)
Other than that, the theory is that usage will determine
place structures.

> Consider:
>
> .i zo solsentrvi'u cu sinxa lenuzo'e vimcu le
> barsenta le solri
>
> Would a sentence like that suffice to establish
> the meaning of {solsentrvi'u}?

(It should be {solsentyvi'u}.) I don't think that
would be enough to establish its meaning, but it
may be enough for it to be understood in a given
context. (I don't see it being able to have a
very different meaning from that, in any case.)

> What if some
> people prefer a more detailed lujvo such as
> {solbarborsentrvi'u}?

{solbarborsentyvi'u}. One doesn't exclude the other.
If the concept is needed frequently enough, one form
will eventually become more popular, I suppose, but
nothing will prevent anyone from useing the other.

> Or what if some people
> prefer a different hyphen, yielding {solsentyvi'u}?

This is not really a matter of preference. That is the
only hyphen available. "r" in lujvo is used only to
stick CVV front rafsi so that they don't fall off the
lujvo. Between clashing consonants you have to insert
a "y", and to all four letter rafsi you must add a "y".

> Fact is, I have trouble remembering the rules for
> hyphens.  Does {clamauri'a} work as a lujvo for
> "lengthen"?  Or must I insert an /n/, yielding
> {clamaunri'a}?

No, in theory stress is enough to keep the lujvo
together. (You can't stress "cla".)

But on the semantic side, I would prefer {clazenri'a},
or {clazengau} for "lengthen". {zmadu} is usually for
comparing two different things, rather than one thing
with itself at different times. (Are you causing it
to become longer than it was before or longer than it
will be later?)

co'o mi'e xorxes