Re: ka/ni kama

> [much about the use of {kanli} and {merli}, which makes
> sense, elided for brevity]

> >> And then you must disagree with things like:
> >>         le ni la djan cu ricfu cu du li piso'i
> >>         The extent to which John is rich is a lot.

> >they are not very useful as quantifiers.
>
> Why not? Since no terbri asks for a dimensioned number,
> where would you use them? As pure numbers they work
> well:
>         ta mitre li rau
>         That is long enough.

If all brivla were designed as you say, where quantities always
had separate places for number and scale, then {li rau} et al.
would indeed be useful as pure numbers, and pure numbers would
be useful as general quantifiers with the scale simply elided.

> > How do you answer {ma junta}?
>
> That's a good question! I wonder why there is such a word
> for weight but not for things like length, size, age, etc.

If quantities are as you say (and that's a good way for them
to be), then {junta} is wrong.

> >The abstract properties like "weight" and "luminosity" and "length"
> >must be expressible without reference to specific heavy, bright, or long
> >things, because the mind can think of them that way.
>
> The mind sure can be kidded into thinking of them. But you haven't
> convinced me yet that there's something you can't say in Lojban
> because of the lack of dimensioned numbers.

Not wanting to get into the philosophical argument of whether or
not qualia are meaningful existents, I /can/ ask what are "pure"
numbers if not qualia?  If /these/ qualia are basic to the language,
why can't I express others?

And that brings to mind the obvious place one might want dimensioned
quantities: in mekso.  If one can say that 2+2=4 without implying
that 4 of something are around somewhere, why can I not say that a
newton is a kg*m/sec^2 without implying that any pushing is going on?

--
Lee Daniel Crocker <lee@piclab.com> <http://www.piclab.com/lcrocker.html>
"All inventions or works of authorship original to me, herein and past,