Re: Linguistics journals

And:
>Well: If I was asked to review a grant application for
>research of this type, and if I wasn't the Lojban-supporter
>I am, then I would want to see a well-made prima facie case
>for expecting the research to be fruitful. E.g. what advantage
>does Lojban have in this respect over ordinary predicate
>logic notation. But someone could probably make such a case.

Well, I think the prima facie case for this is fairly simple.  People do not
fluently speak or use predicate logic notation, and it seems unlikely that
anyone ever will.  On the other hand, any machine AI will require a lot

of real world knowledge base inputs in order to be able to function.  A
fluent Lojban speaker/writer CAN exist, and at least a large subset of the
language can be easily processed into predicate logic compatible f
orm
(The research work and language skill of Nick Nicholas is eviodence of
both of these).  This would lead one to believe that the
a much better human/
computer interface for inputting the knowledge base data would result by
having Lojban speakers (who need not be expert in computer AI nor necessarily
is predicate logic, but rather might be expert in an application field)
input the knowledge base directly in Lojban.  Whether internal storage is
in Lojban text (which could be more easily read out and interpreted by a
non-computer person) or in predicate logic notation, is a tradeoff
more in
storage than in AI technology, it seems to me.

lojbab
----