Re: 'your will' as sumti

At 1997-11-06 01:46, Robin Turner wrote:

>I'm not up to discussing the Lojban semantics of "will", but it seems that
>first you have  to be clearer about "will" as used by Rabelais.

The motto comes from Gargantua and Pantagruel book 1 chap. 57, and
reading that, I'm fairly sure Rabelais meant the fairly straightforward
sense of 'do whatever you want'. {le se mukti} seems to express this well.

>I get the
>impression that Ashley also has in mind Crowley's gloss (as in "Do what
>thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law"), where "will" is not simply
>"desire" or "motivated action" but an almost teleological concept along the
>lines of "that which in your considered opinion is the best thing to do in
>relation to your personal development and your position in the universe".

That might come later. Rabelais' sense is surely an easier Lojban
exercise...

> Unfortunately
>there doesn't seem to be an English word that fits this idea very well, so
>if we can find a Lojban structure, then all to the better.  I don't think
>there are any gismu that would fit - someone needs to come up with a good
>tanru here (and at this point I bow out).

Perhaps {la semukti}? Is this grammatical?

--
Ashley Yakeley, Seattle WA
http://www.halcyon.com/ashleyb/