Re: "will", "le mi..."

> >(1) "will"
> >
> >I think Rick is right that a new lujvo is useful here, so
> >I propose {sezmu'i} "self-motive": agent x1 is self-motivated
> >to perform action x2; x1 wants to do x2.
>
> Very well, but I'm not at all happy with the definition
> 'self-motivation', though 'wants' is quite straightforward. So {sezmu'i}
> would be the 'want' (and therefore not the expression of the actual
> motivation) in 'we didn't want to eat the other passengers, but we had
> to', even though the motive is entirely internal.

I have to stick with self-motivation for "will"; the gloss "wants
to do..." is a loose one, not the definitional to my mind.  To me,
those passengers may not have enjoyed the idea of eating their fellows,
and may have been reluctant to do so, but they still did so of their
own will (motivated by their own hunger).  One's desires are not
always the same as one's will or intent.  {sezmu'i} is the latter;
the former is {djica}.

--
Lee Daniel Crocker <lee@piclab.com> <http://www.piclab.com/lcrocker.html>
"All inventions or works of authorship original to me, herein and past,