Re: Problems with Abstraction

>> Indeed, I'm surprised that you're surprised: I thought that
>> it was the widespread existence of "All that flows is not
>> water" speakers, filtered via Horn's book, that was in large
>> part responsible for the analogous Lojban rule.
>
>It may be so.

Not so.  I had never noticed such speakers before the negation paper was long
cast in stone.  Now they seem to predominate, especially with use of quantifier
"all".  I see and am grated by this construction all the time.

I am not sure what analogous rule is being referred to here, but predicate
negation was defined partly in an attempt to minimize the significance of
quantifier order as well as sumti position.  It was felt that broda as
well as na broda should been the dsame thing no matter how the places
were rearranged with SE and FA - it was the predicate that was being negated.
Some of this proved untenable with time, and the result of Horn is that
we made na broda equivalent to naku zo'u [other prenex stuff zo'u] broda.

pc is the one who actually read Horn, and thus the negation paper is multiply
filtered Horn, but most of it was written before we heard of Horn.

lojbab
----