Re: 'your will' as sumti

>Date:         Thu, 6 Nov 1997 08:27:55 -0800
>From: Rick Nylander <rnylander@DTSI.COM>
>
>> If "desire" is the right translation for "will" (I think the
>> original poster's "motivated act" is better), then the sentence
>> would be {ko gasnu le se djica be do}.
>
>Hmm, I think you're right about that part.  {ko gasnu le do djica} would
>probably translate to "do your desiring" or "go ahead and desire."  So
>the better phrase would be {ko gasnu le se djica be do}.

This has probably been addressed, but you're being a little confused by a
twist in Lojban's grammar.  {le do djica} is a shorthand for {le djica pe
do}.  {le djica} is "the desirer, the one(s) who desire", and this is "the
desirer restrictively associated with you: your desirer"  (not necessarily
one who desires you, but that's a reasonable interpretation).  It's NOT
"your desiring, the act of you desiring", that would be {le nu do djica}.
{le do se djica}, being short for {le se djica pe do}, or "the thing(s)
desired of yours" is similarly ambiguous in meaning, but it is a reasonable
reading to get "the things desired by you" (which more exlicitly would be
{le se djica be do}).

That help?

~mark