Re: Is Lojban important?

robin:
> >>Of course it's not that important. I participate in Lojban
> >>only because I enjoy it, not because it's important. If I
> >>less selfishly cared more about things that are important I
> >>should instead be pouring my energies into exposing human rights
> >>violations around the world, or something like that.
>
> Isn't something you enjoy important?  If people didn't consider the things
> they enjoyed to be important, perhaps there wouldn't be much point in
> having human rights in the first place.  "Life, liberty and the pursuit of
> happiness" and all that.

It is important that one does what one enjoys. But I don't
think Lojban is inherently important. Fighting for human rights
is necessarily important, but the importance of Lojban is
contingent on it being enjoyed (which is inherently important).
I'd probably feel a more valuable member of society if fighting
for human rights was what I enjoyed, though possibly I'd be more
likely to have a fatwa issued against me by some crazed imam.

--And