Re: On logji lojbo discussions

>> Or perhaps "mi djuno tu'a lejeikau la frank cu bebna"
>
>Doubtful. IIRC {kau} is not well defined when not after a
>Q-word. With a struggle I might make some sense of your example,
>would it would take a lot of cerebration & conscious reasoning.

If it is a conventional interpretation than it should take zero cerebration.
All uses of discursives are inherently conventional.  WE have agreed on a
convention when kau follows a Q-word.  We can agree on other conventions.
It requires no cerebration or reasoning at all, just usage which catches on.
Of course negotiating the agreement should take place in Lojban rather than
English in this post-baseline world %^)

>> No, since I created it.  It was created specifically to talk about the truth
>> of a proposition.
>
>But I have seen from your own messages that you have believed that
>--More--
>to know the truth value of p is to know whether p is true.

That is true.  I still believe it.  but I also believe that this is equivalent
to saying "know that the truth value of p is X" because the nature of truth
value" is that a proposition has only one.  But we do not have idiomatic use of
 the phrase "truth value" in English, so I am not prone to say
mi djuno ledu'u makau jei broda
though I consdier this to be as Lojbanic as the xukau variety, and indeed
careful analysis would find it even more appropriate.
(The convention for other Q words besides xu, seems to be that using kau
in a djuno expression means that a word which answers the question is what is
meaning asked for.   But the answer to xu is "go'i"/nago'i" which is not a
truth value but a claim.  Thus an English translation of a du'u xukau
question might go like:

Tell me whether <proposition x> is true
<proposition x> or
<not proposition x>

I am not entirely convinced that these are answrs to English "whether
We have a convention like many languages that repeating a claim is
saying  yes to a yes/no question.  But I am not sure that "whether" is a
yes/no question.

But I can live with Jorge's usage even if I may choose to express it
differently.

lojbab----