Re: xi, kennings, jvajvo (was Re: Are tanru really metaphors?)

la .and. cusku di'e

> My solution: is it possible ofr a brivla to have a {xi}
> "subscript"?

Yes.  Subscripts can be attached to almost anything, but syntactically
must be numbers or letters or parenthesized mathematical
expressions, not names.

> Perhaps there is some way of toggling the whole text so the
> hearer looks the word up in the kenning list first and only
> consults the standard lexicon if the word isn't in the kenning
> list. Maybe {ni`o xi la kenning} might do that.

A metalinguistic remark beginning with "sei" would serve nicely.

--
John Cowan      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              cowan@ccil.org
                        e'osai ko sarji la lojban