Re: Q-less kau (was Re: ni, jei, perfectionism)

la .and. cusku di'e

> Lojbab:
> > I suspect that most usages of indoirect questions are referring to known
> > answers of those questions - and indeed that is why I originally glossed
> > "kau" as a knowledge discursive - dakau meant "something da and I know what
> > da is).
>
> *That's* the usage of kau I was trying to remember the other
> week. Since this didn't make it into the refgram, is it now
> obsolete?

IMAO, it was obsolete from the start, being an artefact of using
"djuno" as the typical selbri governing indirect questions.
It didn't make it into the refgram because I thought it was flat
wrong.

OTOH, "kau" can be attached to non-question words, as in
Example 8.4 of Chapter 11, to suggest the answer to the IQ.

Of all the "normative" chapters in the refgram, 11 skates on the
thinnest ice, and I knew that when I wrote it.

--
John Cowan      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              cowan@ccil.org
                        e'osai ko sarji la lojban