Re: On logji lojbo discussions

Jorge to Lojbab:
> >in English at least, we cannot ask the
> >direct question with "wehether" "*Whether you go to the store?"
>
> "Whether" is a pronoun???
>
> In any case, who said anything about using it for direct questions?

As it happens, I am currently working on a paper that inter alia
argues that what phonologically is "Did you go to the store?"
is syntactically "Whether did you go to the store".

Also, there is quite a good case for taking "whether" to be
a pronoun. Interrogative clauses have the distribution of
nominal phrases.

(I'm not trying to engage anyone here in debate about this.
I'm just chatting)

--And