Re: whether (was Re: ni, jei, perfectionism)

Lojbab writes:
>> I don't see much difference between:
>>I know where John went (indirect question).
>>I know the place where John went (relative clause).
>
>But they are different! The first one doesn't say that you know
>the place, it only says that you know where it is that John went.
>If you don't know Buenos Aires, you may still know that John went to
>Buenos Aires. If John went to New York, and you know N.Y.,
>but you don't know that John went there, you still know the place
>where he went.

I don't think "knowing" in the sense of "being familiar with" is a =
likely interpretation of the second English sentence, so I agree with =
Lojbab that they mean the same thing.  A better distinction might be:

I approve of where John went
I approve of the place where John went

The first suggests to me that I like that John went there, whether or =
not I actually like the place; the second means I like the place, =
whether or not I think John had any business going there.

co'o mi'e kris