Re: <djuno> & <xusra> (Was Knowledge & Belief)

Julian:
> "I know that
>it will snow tomorrow".
>Can "know" mean more than "predict"
>here?

Yes. As Rob says, knowledge is justified _true_ belief.
Prediction does not necessitate the "true" bit. Consider
this example: On Monday Jane says: "I know that it will
snow tomorrow" and June says "I predict that it will snow
tomorrow". Now suppose that it really snows on Tuesday.
Then on Wednesday Jane says: "I knew that it would snow
yesterday" and June says "I predicted that it would snow
yesterday". All is well. Now suppose that it didn't snow
on Tuesday. Then on Wednesday, June can still say
"I predicted that it would snow yesterday, but I was wrong".
But Jane cannot say "I knew that it would snow yesterday,
but I was wrong". Something is wrong with that sentence,
because "know" requires a true fact, whereas "predict"
does not. Since we don't know for sure before it happens
whether or not "it will snow tomorrow" is true or not, we
also don't know for sure whether "Jane knows that it
will snow" is true or not. But we can take both as true
as long as they don't conflict with reality. We do that all
the time, not only for future events.

co'o mi'e xorxes