oops! correction

>dei pamoi finti befa mi be'o jufra fi la lojban. (complex tanru)

Oops. That should be:
dei pamoi sefinti mivauje jufra fila lojban.

Stylistics, I say, and I get a grammatical correction. *sigh*. Thanks
anyway, John. Well, if that didn't generate any traffic, how about the
way in which I run my cmavos together all the time? Does this irritate
people? DO PEOPLE EVEN READ THIS?! Oops - getting carried away again.
But I think writing things like {sefinti}, instead of going for the lujvo
{selfinti}, is an underestimated resource.

As for JC's comments:

>Nick S. Nicholas <nsn@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au> writes:
>
>> "News"
>>
>> le briju cu se so'iroi klama so'olemi pendo poi co'a gunka lemi'a jibri
>> zi'epoi te preti fo mi feledu'u lo nuzba cu se cusku ta'i ma
>> "My office is often visited by friends who are just getting started in
>> our profession, and who ask me how to write news.
>> (In the original: To the office often come...)

OK, literal translation (lojbab-ese %^): the office is often come-to by
some friends who: start-to work-at our profession andwho: question-ask
of me the-question (sentence:) a news is-expressed how?

>More importantly, "ma" and the other question words signal direct, not
>indirect questions.  English indirect questions like "They asked me how
>to write news" are hard to render in Lojban, even once you resolve the
>ambiguity of "how" (in this case "ta'i ma" = "With what form?").
>As yet there is no generally accepted way of writing indirect questions.

As Nick likes to say: FIX THIS! In Esperanto, there is no distinction
between the two, but then Esp doesn't have to cope with metalinguistics
like you do. I thought the {du'u} would have taken care of the {ma}, and
really don't want to have to put every indirect statement in quotes
({felu lo nuzba cu secusku ta'i ma li'u}).

>> .i lo nuzba .i'a mezo .co'a. je mezo .mo'u. sele'a lo karni finti
>> News is of course the Alpha and Omega of journalism

The news (I accept) predicate-of-"beginning" and predicate-of-"end" wrt
a journal invention

>You could also preserve the alpha and omega bit by using appropriate lerfu
>with "ge'o", the Greek alphabet shift.

Yes, but there are apocalyptic connotations to Alpha-Omega in English
which aren't there in Greek. I wanted to avoid this. Besides, A to Z
would be a dreadful cultural metaphor.

>> .iku'i finti pi'o le karni po'u ma ra'u
>> But what's important is which paper you write it for.
>There are many problems here.  Literally, the Lojban says:
>	But (Observe!) An inventor, used by the journal which is the
>	same as what (equally)?
>Here we have a mixture of observative and question which is hard to
>comprehend.  I think there are two basic problems, the indirect-question
>issue raised above, and the misuse of "finti".  An observative asks the
>hearer to observe something which falls in the first place of the selbri,
>which in the case of "finti" is the inventor/creator.

Um.. urgh. You mean, every time I omit the subject (first sumti) of a
selbri, I have this Observative connotation, with respect to the ommited? Eek.
Not at all like the subjectless verbs of Esp, which correspond to There Is or
It Is in Eng, but without this explicit connotation. Pluvas - there's a rain
(or a raining) going on. Necesas - there's a necessity going on; it is
necessary. If I were to say Hundas: there's a dog (or more strictly, a
state-of-being-a-dog) going on.
What I was trying to say was this:

[Ok, last utterance referred to journal inventing.] But, there's-an-inventing-
-going-on (or, if JC insists, there's-an-inventor-going-on) for the
newspaper which is which? (THAT's what's important).

Really think it's that muddled? Hm. Any seconders?

>Overall a creditable, not to say unbelievably good, effort.
>Please keep it up!

Overall a medium bad effort, but I'll keep it up anyway. But does anyone
out there deviate from SVO1O2O3O4 in order to get elisions? That's all I want
to know. 'Cause if you don't, maybe you should. And maybe you shoudln't.

co'omi'e nitcion.
Nick S. Nicholas,			"Rode like foam on the river of pity
Depts. of CompSci & ElecEng,  		 Turned its tide to strength
University of Melbourne, Australia.	 Healed the hole that ripped in living"
nsn@{mullian.ee|mullauna.cs|ecr}.mu.oz.au     -	S. Vega, Book Of Dreams