Re: *malglico and misc queries

>From: infmx!godzilla!cortesi@uunet.UU.NET (David Cortesi)

:On 26 April, "Ivan Derzhanski" <uunet!chaos.cs.brandeis.edu!iad> said it:
:
:> Second, to avoid being accused in malglicoism or malmerkoism, ...
:
:On 30 april, mullian.ee.mu.OZ.AU said it:
:
:> ... These aren't tanru, these are malglico crudities...
[...]

:And nobody called them on it.

I didn't invent the word "malglico".  Neither did Nick.  I first saw it
in an article posted by John Cowan on sci.lang.

: Well, it didn't look right to me; I
:didn't believe it was possible in Lojban to slap "mal" on the front of
:something and make a pejorative out of it.

Why not?  What other function could the gismu {mabla} serve?

:  It's too latinate and/or esperantish.

It is nothing of the sort.  The Latin root "mal" means `bad', but it can't
just be slapped on the front of anything.  In Esp the prefix "mal" denotes
negation (etymology mysterious), which is something entirely different.

Besides, Nick was quoting me, and I, the violent Esp-basher, am the last
person on earth to be caught using an Espism.  He knows that  :-).

:  So "malglico" means a derogatory kind of English culture (?)

Not "culture".  Anything English can be called {glico}.

Ivan A. Derzhanski   iad@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu
MB 1766 / Brandeis University                    How do you know that this life
P.O.Box 9110 / Waltham, MA 02254-9110 / USA         isn't another world's hell?