Re: MEX comments

la djim. kartr. cusku di'e:
> Thanks for the update on MEX.  I hadn't expected [quantifier] <s-bridi>
> without any article, but I guess it's unambiguous.
>
> Another grammar question:
>
> 	le sfofa cu ve bajra *fa* le ratcu
> 	The sofa is run across by the rat
>
> When the selbri is converted, do the place links <FA> guide sumti into
> the places before conversion (as shown), or after conversion?  "Before"
> makes it easier for the user to match up the definition with the <FA>.
> "After" makes transformation more modular, in that once converted, you
> never have to look at the selbri again when picking places.  I prefer
> "before".

"After" is the canonical answer.  The Hixson-Bonewitz tags (selma'o FA)
specify the place >of the selbri< which the following sumti goes into.
All conversions have already been done.  This is necessary, because a
conversion is short-scope and typically affects only part of the selbri --
in the example shown, "bajra" is the only thing in the selbri, but that
wouldn't be true in general.

What you have written forces "le sfofa" and "le ratcu" to share the x1
place, which is effectively the same as combining them with "jo'u", the
"in common" non-logical connective.

> Second question:  In a modal sentence connective, did I get it right
> that "bo" is mandatory after the connective to prevent it from eating
> the first sumti?  Does "bo" work also for an isolated sumti tcita?  As in:
>
> 	mi pensi .i se ni'i bo mi zasti
> 	I think     therefore  I  am

What you have written is correct, but I don't understand the question.
A "modal sentence connective" consists precisely of I + [joik/jek] + stag + BO,
and the compounder packs this up into a single construct which is effectively
a high-precedence I.

> Also, it appears that in a modal phrase the tagged sumti goes in x1
> (lacking conversion), but in a sentence connective which term goes in
> x1 and which in x2?  Did I get the order right here?

The entailed statement (x1 of seni'i) is the sentence governed by the tag,
so you are correct.

--
cowan@snark.thyrsus.com		...!uunet!cbmvax!snark!cowan
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban