Re: bulgarian spring

To answer Ivan answering Frank querying Ivan

> >  Date:     Sun, 1 Mar 1992 16:33:58 PST
> >  From: fschulz@COM.PYRAMID
> >
> >  <...> "preblgaria" stops me cold. Vowel
> >  ending, consonant cluster, must be brivla.
>
> The cluster {blg} can't occur in brivla, because {lg} is not a
> permissible initial.  I intended this to be the reason for the word to
> be recognised as a le'avla.  I'm not quite sure it works this way, but
> if it doesn't, I'm confident someone will speak up, and suggest an
> alternative.
>
> Ivan

With my familiarity with Lojban and the contextual information that you
were writing aout Bulgaria, I would probably have worked this one out -
i.e. recognised it as a le'avla. But I'm not happy with your
justification.

At one time (actually dating from JCB's "Great Morphological Revolution"
years ago) there was a very complicated set of rules for le'avla, which
amounted to "if it's a brivla and doesn't lex as a lujvo, then it must
be a le'avla". As far as I know this is still officially the situation,
and your le'avla is probably valid. (I say 'probably' because the
problem with this le'avle rule is the contortions necessary to ensure
that it is in fact unambiguous).

I much much prefer the simple rule presented in JL 12 or so by which
every le'avla is of the form
        <gismu less the final letter>-r-<Cx*V>
(or -l- or -n- for the link if necessary)

In this scheme your le'avla would be
        pernrblgaria

                        kolin fain