More Wind from the North

>  Date:        Tue, 9 Jun 1992 15:33:36 -0400
>  From: "Mark E. Shoulson" <shoulson@EDU.COLUMBIA.CTR>
>
>  We have been using the indefinite form of whatever we're talking about in
>  most cases, like {mi djuno ledu'u do co'ekau}=="I know what you are/do",
>  and not the questioning form, {mi djuno ledu'u do mokau}, which would
>  probably be something more like "What is it that I know about you?".  So
>  far, that make sense?

No.  `What is it that I know about you?' (or `What is it that I know
that you are/do?') is just {mi djuno ledu'u do mo}.

Besides, John said that it doesn't matter exactly what word {kau} is
attached to.  It is only its selma'o that matters.

But I now say that {kau} is not a solution to anything.  Consider:

  {mi djuno ledu'u ma klama}
    `Who do I know that comes?'

  {mi djuno ledu'u makau klama}
    `I know who comes.'

Now allow me to add one more level of embedding.

  {mi djuno ledu'u do djuno ledu'u ma klama}
    `Who do I know that you know that comes?'
      (`Who is the one such that I know that you know that he comes?')

  ?
    `I know who you know that comes.'
      (`I know who the one is such that you know that he comes.')

  ?
    `I know that you know who comes.'
      (`I know that you know who the one is such that he comes.')

One of these two (I have no way to guess which) may be {mi djuno
ledu'u do djuno ledu'u makau klama}, but the other ...

So I hereby question the usefulness of {kau}.

Ivan