Re: More Wind from the North

Ivan A Derzhanski writes:

> Besides, John said that it doesn't matter exactly what word {kau} is
> attached to.  It is only its selma'o that matters.

After talking with lojbab, I will qualify this to the extent that if the
word has semantic meaning, then that meaning gives some indication of what
fills the place.  Indefinite vs. question forms still mean the same thing.

> Now allow me to add one more level of embedding.
>
>   {mi djuno ledu'u do djuno ledu'u ma klama}
>     `Who do I know that you know that comes?'
>       (`Who is the one such that I know that you know that he comes?')
>
>   ?
>     `I know who you know that comes.'
>       (`I know who the one is such that you know that he comes.')
>
>   ?
>     `I know that you know who comes.'
>       (`I know that you know who the one is such that he comes.')
>
> One of these two (I have no way to guess which) may be {mi djuno
> ledu'u do djuno ledu'u makau klama}, but the other ...

The latter.  The former is "mi djuno ledu'u do djuno ledu'u makauxire klama",
on the analogy of:

	le mlatu poi viska le ratcu poi ke'a batci ke'axire
	the cat such-that ( -- saw the rat such-that (it [the rat] bit it [the cat])

--
cowan@snark.thyrsus.com		...!uunet!cbmvax!snark!cowan
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban