Re: TECH: grammar updates

Further observations on John Cowan's excellent list of changes.

> Nick's declefter is now also part of the grammar: it does not have its own
> cmavo, but is signalled by "jai" without a following tense or modal, thus
> keeping the close link between "jai" and "fai".  Its effect is to take the
> abstraction normally falling into the x1 place of the selbri and move it
> to the extra "fai" place; the new x1 place is one of the places of the
> subordinate bridi within the abstraction.  (If x1 is not an abstraction,
> "jai" is ill-formed).  Exactly which place is chosen is unspecified, so
> "jai" may be equivalent to "jai gau" or to something else.  Example:
>
> 5)      le nu mi catra la djim. cu jenca la djein.
>         The event-of my killing Jim shocks Jane.
>
> becomes:
>
> 6)      mi jai jenca la djein. fai le nu [mi] catra la djim.
>         I shock Jane by the event-of [my] killing Jim.
>
> Here "jai gau" would do as well and be more specific, but this is not always
> so.  If the abstraction to be thus manipulated is not in x1, use "jai SE"
> to get it there.

It seems to me then that
        da jai broda
is equivalent to
        tu'a da broda
je'upei

ta'o I had always read 'jenca' as meaning a physical shock, not an emotional
one. It's a bit like 'sarji' which has long been used in both a figurative and
a literal sense. (cf your mail footer)

> 7)      le su'u la .iecuas. kuctra selcatra
                                              KEI
                                              ^^^
>                 be lo salpydizyfa'a ke nalmatma'e sutryterjvi
>         the abstract-nature-of (Jesus is-an-intersect-shape type-of-killed-one
 )
>                 of-type a slope-low-direction type-of non-motor-vehicle
>                 speed-competition
>         The Crucifixion of Jesus Considered As A Downhill Bicycle Race

        mi'e kolin