Re: Questions

>I tend to understand it as "Mark", which is a common English name
>for persons. Of course, it can be the name of an event, but that's
>not what the English gloss above suggests.

Yes it is a common English name for persons.  But we are dealing with a
simple case of metonymy, where the name of something is being used to
represent an event that thing (person) participated in.

The problem is in knowing what "la mark" refers to as an event.  My
convention has been to have it refer to the person's life/existence as
an event.  "tu'a la mark" by exclusion implies to me some more
restricted event, such as an act of talking.

The logical suspicion is uncalled for, since there is a rather minimal
predication implied by "pe".  If the link was "po'u" I might agree with
you.  (Make that "ne" and not "pe" having reread the initial quote:

>> >I agree with you. It might mean, I suppose, that John lived before
>> >Mark was born.
>>
>> Why is "la mark." not an event?
)

lojbab