Re: "except"

> Another related word that I still don't know how to do in Lojban
> is "even":
>  That is important not only to the Irish.
>  (Important to the Irish and to others as well, the unexpected part
>  being that it is important to the others.)
>  That is important even to the Irish.
>  (Important to the Irish and to others as well, the unexpected part
>  being that it is important to the Irish.)
> "Only" and "except" seem to be more basic, "only" giving the
> only one that does, and "except" the only one that doesn't.
> "Not only" and "even" seem to also have an element of unexpectedness
> together with the basic meaning of "in addition to others".
> Does anyone have a theory for how to handle those in Lojban?

I've already offered something for "only" and "except". As for "even",
and "not-only" (which shd be distinguished from "not only") (and, for
that matter, "still/already/at last", which also have the expectedness
element), it depends whether you want "She thinks even Bill spoke" to
mean "She thinks it is unexpected that it was Bill that spoke" or
"It would be unexpected if it was Bill that spoke and she thinks
that Bill spoke". If the former, use {spaji}. If the latter, then use
some sort of UI-like object, e.g. {sei spaji seu}.

coo, mie And