*old response on experienced Lojbanists

>From: Steve Hazel <hazel@TURING.CS.STEDWARDS.EDU>
>Subject:      RET: Who are you?
>
>I was just wondering who "the experienced" are ... specifically those
>who can use the language well and are possibly even approaching
>fluency...  *shrug*

At the risk of leaving some people out, and mixing different sorts of
fluency, I would certainly include

John Cowan
Lojbab and Nora
Nick Nicholas
Jorge Llambias
Ivan Derzhanski
Goran Topic
Colin Fine
Sylvia Rutiser
Chris Bogart

as among the most fluent users of the language, with pc being a former
and hopefully future member of this set.  Mark Shoulson and Iain
Alexander are probably also at this level, but are usually inactive.
Albion Zeglin of the local Lojban class is sometimes at this level but
drops in and out of the community.  Athelstan was at that level before
his head injury and has not yet regained anywhere near his former skill.

There is a second tier of people who have written or conversed in the
language to some considerable extent, have demonstrated therefore that
they have a basic grasp of the grammar, but usually have had significant
limitations due to weak command of the vocabulary or a lack of
systematic study.  I would guess that as many as 50 people now have
written or spoken good Lojban text that is not trivial translation from
English or some other language but indicates an understanding of the
grammar basics.  Sometimes, as with And Rosta or Jim Carter, these
people have ideas that run contrary to the mainstream of Lojban usage or
theory and hence can easily confuse others by their explanations or
usages.  I count 2 dozen people I would put in this category among the
110 email addresses on the December 12 Lojban List, and I may be missing
some of the new people who have conversed in Lojban on the list in the
last few months, since I haven't been paying attention.

lojbab