Re: place switching cmavo...

la kris. cusku di'e

> On Tue, 19 Nov 1996, R.M. Uittenbogaard wrote:
>
> > I always thought the places were numbered subsequently, and

[1] fo le dargu cu klama fa mi do lemi zdani le karce

> > meant that "le karce" occupies the x4 place as well, which makes
> > it equal in meaning to:

[2] mi klama do lemi zdani le dargu .e le karce   ,  or
[3] mi klama do lemi zdani le dargu fo le karce

> > So instead, filled places are skipped for subsequent sumti?
>
> I think you're right and Lojbab is mistaken on this one, but
> I don't have my references here at work to look it up.
>
> I seem to remember a discussion on this where someone suggested
> that (to use your example) le karce and le dargu would act
> like appositives, supposedly naming the same thing (and I
> forget the cmavo which would do this directly: po'u?  no'u?
> something like that maybe...)

"That turns out not to be the case."

Only an explicit FA can stuff two sumti into the same place.
In [1], the place assignments are:

	x4 le dargu
	x1 mi
	x2 do
	x3 lemi zdani
	x5 le karce

Example [2] makes two assertions:  that I go (to you, etc.) via
the road and also via the car (you and I
are presumably on opposite sides of the car, which is serving
as an impromptu tunnel).

Example [3] does stuff "le dargu" and "le karce" both into the
x4 place.  This is, indeed, equivalent to Example [2].
See places.txt, Section 3.

To make an explicit apposition, use "no'u", meaning
"which is incidentally identical to".

--
John Cowan						cowan@ccil.org
			e'osai ko sarji la lojban