Re: Dvorak

In a message dated 97-10-07 13:06:49 EDT, Andrew wrote:

<<
<snip description of his typing so far>

>Chris Bogart wrote:
>> Its interesting how many Lojbanists
> > have experimented with Dvorak.  It must be the same attitude that draws
> > us to the layout and the language.  There's gotta be a better way of
> > doing things...
> I agree entirely.

As do I.  There is a problem, however.  I started learning Dvorak once, but
found that it not only meant that I didn't type Querty as fast, but also that
I kept getting frustrated whenever I wasn't typing at home.  Until I don't
need to use other people's computers/typewriters, or take typing tests for
jobs I guess I'm stuck.

> Lee Sau Dan wrote:
> > Perhaps  you're right.  I'm  also addicted to  Qwerty, although I know
> > switch to  Dvorak would  speed up  my typing.   The main problem maybe
> > that we cannot afford  the *extra* time needed  to train ourselves for
> > Dvorak.   We've already got  a reasonably good alternative.  So, we're
> > unwilling to pay the  cost  for the  switching, which brings  benefits
> > which would be only marginal...
<snip>
> The time investment must be made at some point, and the sooner the
> better.  Delaying only serves to add to the difficulty.
<snip>

Makes sense, but see my note above.

> Edward Cherlin wrote:
> > Switching to Dvorak after 30 years typing QWERTY was an amazing
experience.
> > There was a kind of pain in the brain that I have never experienced
> > otherwise. I imagine that it also occurs in total immersion language
> > learning.
> [snip]
<snip>
> This IS total immersion learning for me.  I decided that when I started
> typing with Dvorak (which was two days ago), I was not going to use
> qwerty anymore.
<snip>
>  I have read, and fear would be immensely true for me, that trying to
retain
> qwerty skills is an immense burden on one's attempts to learn Dvorak.
<snip>

For me it went both ways, since I had need to use both layouts.

> Sorry to anybody who's annoyed that I'm using this mailing list for
> completely off-topic dialogue.
<snip lojban discussion>

I don't mind, myself, particularly since the discussion has also applied to
language learning, easiest key layout for lojban, etc.

karis.