Re: Jorge's right re: ni

After re-reading all the postings on this subject, re-reading
the refgram carefully, and brushing up on my philosophy a bit,
I am forced to agree with Jorge as well that {ni} is being used
with two meanings here, and that I will have to give up my
earlier {mi nelci le ni ta ninmu}, which, while grammatical,
does say that I like a pure number in and of itself.

The two meanings of {le ni} that are being used, as I can best
explain it, are (1) a pure number, an amount, such as might fit
into {le se kanli}; and (2) the /proposition/ that some number
applies to some bridi, such as might fit into {se djuno} or
{se krici}.  I think he's right that you can't know a number,
you know some propostion involving that number.  And one prop-
osition can't be greater than another, only numbers. [Note also
that as Jorge has pointed out, {kanli} now has the quantifier
in x2 rahter than x1, so presumably what used to be {la'u} is
not {sela'u}].

To concretize, let me use an example with sumti that show the
distinction well:

  1a  {le canko cu kanli sela'u li piso'u}
      the door is open in quantity: a tiny bit

or the equivalent rearrangement:

  1b  {li piso'u cu jai sela'u kanli fai le canko}
      a tiny bit is the extent by which is open, the door

Now I want to say something about the extent to which the door
is open.  Perhaps I want to compare it to some other amount of
openness, or say that you logically deduced it from a draft.
In the former case, we need a number; in the latter, a proposition
that fits into {se jogji}: a {du'u}.

So how would we say these two things?

  2a  {[some other quantity] zmadu le jai sela'u kanli fai le canko}
      [quantity] exceeds the extent by which is open, the door

  2b  {mi lojgi le du'u le canko cu kanli sela'u makau}
      I deduce [the proposition] to what extent the door is open

So which is {le ni le canko cu kanli}?  Does it fit 2a or 2b?  I
think the cleanest possible conclusion from the refgram is 2a; {le ni}
is a pure number, and {le se ni} is the scale/standard.

So {ni} is still very useful (because {le jai sela'u broda} is both
awkward and has no place for scale), but we must give up using {le ni}
in places where a {le du'u} is called for.  So, my liking the amount
of womanlyness in someone is {mi nelci le du'u ta ninmu sela'u makau},
but Jane's womanlyness exceeding Mary's can still use {ni}: {le ni la
djein. ninmu cu zmadu le ni la meris. ninmu}, and I can say {li rau
ni la meris. ninmu} "Mary is sufficiently womanly", even add a
scale/standard if I like in x2 of the {ni} selbri.

I'm still undecided about how to put real units into there; Jorge
puts {le ka mitre}, etc., in the "scale" place.  I'll have to think
about that one some more.

--
Lee Daniel Crocker <lee@piclab.com> <http://www.piclab.com/lcrocker.html>
"All inventions or works of authorship original to me, herein and past,