Re: ka/ni kama

>>{le ni broda} is not a dimensionless quantity like {li pa}
>>(though it might be in certain contexts), it is a measurement
>>in units of broda-ness.
>
> If you're right about this, then where would you use it? I can't find
> any gismu that has a place for a dimensioned quantity.

Several have places marked [quanitity] that seem like they would
only work with dimensioned ones--in fact {le klani} itself is either
t (with {se klani] being a number) or else (as seems more natural)
it is a particular instance of a quantity, in which case {se klani}
must be a dimensioned quantity.  Are not "the 5 kilos of rice I
have in mind" and "the 10 meters of rope I have in mind" both {klani}?

What about {te merli}?

> And then you must disagree with things like:
>         le ni la djan cu ricfu cu du li piso'i
>         The extent to which John is rich is a lot.

I wouldn't use {du} as they are not the same identity, but {dunli}
seems OK.  If {li piso'i} or {li rau} cannot be dimensioned, then
they are not very useful as quantifiers.  Perhaps it is "raising" in
a sense to treat numbers as both "pure" and as quantities with
elided dimensions, but I don't see how a useful language can do it
any other way, especially since lojban makes no other effort to
clarify dimensioned quantities.

> Your definition would be a third possibility for {ni}, but I don't see
> where you would use it. (Liking 1.4 womanlyness units seems
> strange to me. You'd not be saying that you like women who
> measure that, but rather that you like the units themselves.)

I may /not/ like all women with that quantity.  It may be that {le ni
la meris. ninmu cu dunli le ni la djein. ninmu}, which I like, but
otherwise Jane might be a jerk.  I like the extent to which she is a
woman, but I may dislike that {ka} she is a lesbian.

> First, what do you need to express "3 meters" as a sumti for?

It is a concept I can hold in my mind; if I cannot express it, then
why am I wasting my time with this language?  How do you answer {ma junta}?
The abstract properties like "weight" and "luminosity" and "length"
must be expressible without reference to specific heavy, bright, or long
things, because the mind can think of them that way.

--
Lee Daniel Crocker <lee@piclab.com> <http://www.piclab.com/lcrocker.html>
"All inventions or works of authorship original to me, herein and past,