ADM: xiron (was Re: ni)

la and cusku di'e

> Xiron is being recalcitrant, so I can't check the gi`uste, but

  Yes, xiron has been rather recalcitrant lately due to too large a
  number of workstations using a common 2 Mbaud modem line to access
  Novell servers at the wrong end of the line. We have experienced
  95 % packet losses, 5 s average delay times and 10 min total
  black-outs. Last night, however, we succeeded in setting up a fiber
  optic link, which, I hope, permanently solves the problems.

  At the moment my average ping response time across the Atlantic
  (to sunsite.unc.edu) is 120ms and FTP transfer rate in excess of
  150 kbytes/s (getting 2Mb files, unknown load at the other end).
  The ping response time of ftp.tex.ac.uk is about 50ms.

  Accessing xiron locally from the other end of the new link, I can
  get >500kbytes/s with FTP (access from a multiuser system with
  50 users logged in; at this end, I can saturate the LAN at about
  1Mbyte/s).

  co'o mi'e veion