Re: Let's reopen the case....

>Encoding: 39 TEXT
>Date:         Tue, 21 Oct 1997 16:54:00 -0400
>From: "Harding, George E." <GHarding@ACS2.FMARION.EDU>
>
>Ray scripsit:
>
>>Wheelock lists them thus:
>>Nominative, Genitive, Dative, Accusative, Ablative.
>
>>I have been told several times in the past that this is the normal
>>order in the US. I can only take the word of US correspondents
>>for this  :-)
>
>>In Britain the cases are regularly listed:
>>Nominative, Accusative, Genitive, Dative, Ablative.

I know I've mentioned this before, but FWIW Sanskrit cases are numbered,
not named, and come in the following order, going by the names they were
given by Western grammarians (which are pretty close to their meanings):

Nominative
Accusative
Instrumental
Dative
Ablative
Genitive
Locative
(Vocative)

(Vocative is not really considered a case, and is not numbered)

~mark