Re: kau

cu'u la djan
>"kau" can be used after non-question words, in which case the
>word it is attached to is suggested as the answer to the
>indirect question, as in "I wonder whether it was John who
>shot Alice", which uses "la djan. kau"

which means that {kau} after a non-question word is just
short for {xukau}:

        la djan xu dancatra la alis
        Was it John who shot Alice?

        mi kucli le du'u la djan xukau dancatra la alis
        I wonder whether it was John who shot Alice.

>What is not defined is the use of "kau" outside "du'u"
>abstractions.

I suppose it's for things like these:

            makau tadji le nu mulgau dei
            How to fill in this questionaire.

For any utterance you can assume a leading: {mi xusra le du'u ...}
or something sililar, so if kau is defined inside a du'u it has a natural
extension to what it means outside.

co'o mi'e xorxes