Re: kau

And Rosta wrote:

> Can someone tell me where {kau} is discussed in Woldemar? - Or
> if not, can someone tell me what it means?

Chapter 8, Section 11.

> I mean {kau} in general, not just after question words.

"kau" can be used after non-question words, in which case the
word it is attached to is suggested as the answer to the
indirect question, as in "I wonder whether it was John who
shot Alice", which uses "la djan. kau"

What is not defined is the use of "kau" outside "du'u"
abstractions.

> I seem to recall that originally kau was introduced for some
> more general purpose and only latterly became restricted
> in usage as a marker of indirect questions.

Not AFAIK.

--
John Cowan      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              cowan@ccil.org
                        e'osai ko sarji la lojban