Re: GLI Re: Indirect questions

And:
>> But "She knew whether he was hungry" means something if he was
>> hungry and something else if he wasn't.
>
>I certainly don't think that. Are you sure you really do?

In the same sense that  "I am hungry" means something if I say
it and something else if you do.

>In truth-conditional terms, "She knew whether he was hungry"
>is true iff either he's hungry and she believes he's hungry
>or he's not hungry and she believes he's not hungry.

Yes, of course I agree. That's what the proposition means.
But the text-type "she knew whether he was hungry" can relate
to the proposition "she knew that he was hungry" in a given
context, just as the text type "I am hungry" can relate to the
proposition "Jorge is hungry" in a given context.

>> Our methods of expansion seem not to work for "She wondered
>> whether he was hungry". What's going on here?
>"She desires that for every x, x a se jetlai of le du`u
>he was hungry, she knows that x is a se jetlai of le du`u
>he was hungry."

Right, you are interpreting "wonder" as "want to know".
But then, is {kucli da} = {djica le nu/du'u djuno da}?
Scope problems again.

Then we don't have an automatic way of expanding
{broda le du'u xukau brode}, because it will depend on
the meaning of {broda}. The expansion for {djuno} is
different than the one for {kucli}.

co'o mi'e xorxes