Beginners

As a beginner (and someone who doesn't have much time to study Lojban, or
even read most of my e-mail) I don't  actually see much of a problem with
the more arcane strings - I just trash whatever I can't understand.  I'm
actually pleased that some people are prepared to put in so much time to
clarify the more obscure points of Lojban, since some of this may well bear
fruit when the next version of the textbook comes out. It's a bit like my
attitude to corpus linguistics - it's not my field, and I can't be bothered
with the technicalities of it, but I'm glad somebody is prepared to spend
hours feeding texts into computers, because in the long run it will tell me
stuff which I want to know. In the meantime I enjoy the more general
strings, such as "logical gaffs" and "toxic memes", which I can both
understand and contribute to.  Overall, I think the list benefits from all
of the following:

1. The aforementioned "scholastic" strings;
2. Real Lojban - translations and suchlike;
3. Discussions about the aims and implications of Lojban;
4. More general linguistic stuff which is relevant to Lojban.

Robin Turner

Bilkent Universitesi,
IDMYO,
Ankara,