Domains of Discourse and lo mlatu

From: And Rosta <a.rosta@uclan.ac.uk>

>I do feel that our logic debates do eventually lead to wider
>understanding of the issues. For example, in recent discussions
>of LE/LO, several people besides me & Jorge contributed, and all
>understood the difference correctly, except Bob (and maybe you).

Not to belabor the point, but to put another perspective on the issue.
Bob seemed to want to switch the domain of discourse from one set of
cats to another.  If you do that, {mi nelci lo mlatu} and {mi na nelci
lo mlatu} are true if you've switched domains between the two.  It seems
reasonable that {lo mlatu} could be drawing from some subset of all the
cats in existence if the conversation has already been limited, i.e. the
domain of discourse set, to some subset of all cats.  However, changing
domains in the middle leads to confusion, such as switching between
different subsets of all existent cats.  Without mentioning a particular
subset, it would seem that {lo} would draw from all the cats in
existence, setting the domain to all cats, in which case both {nelci lo
mlatu} and {na nelci lo mlatu} could not both be true.
--
Erik W. Cornilsen