Re: debating style and attitudinals

>>if And, in one of his
>>characteristically vitriolic postings, were to write [le'uro'u] instead =
>of
>>[le'uro'e]!).  And whatever the rights and wrongs of it, [pe'u] no =
>ironic
>>attitudinals!
>
>.ua .u'udai zo'o While exhorting others not to make errors, you've made =
>the error of replacing le'o with le'u in both examples -- which happens =
>to be the end-error-quote. =20
>
>chris

.u'u .o'unairo'a

I could lie and say I was writing reflexive text i.e. demonstrating the
error I was exhorting people to avoid (something I do in my EAP materials
e.g. "Absolutely nothing is ever worse than exaggeration" or "It is
important to pay, attention to punctuation").  In fact it was my previously
uncovered mabla tendency to use my scribbled notes rather than printed
matter - I tend not to close my O's properly, so I then type them up as
U's.  What I was of course trying to say was [le'oro'e] - intellectual
aggression, the kind of thing you might say to warn someone that you were
about to tear their theory to shreds - and [le'oro'u] which, I have
understood it correctly, should only be uttered between consenting adults
in private.

Robin Turner

Bilkent Universitesi,
IDMYO,