Re: whether (was Re: ni, jei, perfectionism)

Lojbab:
> Chris:
> >A better distinction might be:
> >I approve of where John went

BTW, I think this is syntactically not a subordinate interrogative.
You can't say "I approve of whether John went" or "I approve
of who went", can you?

> >I approve of the place where John went
> >
> >The first suggests to me that I like that John went there, whether or =
> >not I actually like the place; the second means I like the place, =
> >whether or not I think John had any business going there.
>
> Then these would in Lojban be:
>
> mi zanru ledu'u la djan. klama makau
> mi zanru le stuzi poi la djan. klama ke'a
>
> Stupid question from the person who seems incapable of understanding
> lambda calculus:

I can't understand it either.

> What would be wrong with (or what would it mean, if anything):
>
> mi zanru ledu'u la djan. klama ce'u

Nothing defined.

> If this doesn't mean anything, is it because it is "ledu'u", and would it
> work for leka or lenu?

With leka, it would mean "I approve of the property of being gone to".
With a different selbri, such as ckaji zei zanru, it could mean
"I like to be gone to".

--And