Re: TECH QUERY: variant fu'ivla

> Lojban has the feature that there are many ways to write most lujvo:
> "gurgle" can appear as "gu'ogle" or "gunrygle" or "gurgletu" or "gu'orgletu"
> or "gunrygletu", and all of these are considered the same word, and
> are therefore synonymous.

Hi!  I've just rejoined the Lojban list, tho' I don't have time to
read most of the postings.

Anyway, excuse my ignorance but what is a fu'ivla?   It's not a word-
category I remember hearing about.

> A parallel situation exists in type 3 fu'ivla (those made with gismu-based
> prefixes): either a four-letter rafsi or a CCV rafsi can be used as the
> prefix (CVC and CVV rafsi aren't safe):  "ricrxacere" and "tricrxacere"
> are both possibilities for "maple" (genus >Acer<).

Hmm!  Words like "ricrxacere" sound like what I thought were called
le'avla, i.e. borrowed words, of which the paradigm example is
"djarspageti" (tho' my favorites were the ones that appeared in the
translations of some of Aesop's fables, "resprtestudo" and some word
meaning "crab").

Is this right?  And what are the <n : n >= 3> types of fu'ivla?

-- jP --