doubleplusungood quality

>>>I am referring
>>>here to the simplified English of the novel 1984, where compound predicates
>>>like doubleplusungood were imposed on the hapless citizenry.
>>
>>Ah you wereusing "doubleplusungood quality" as a two term tanru where the
>>first term exemplifies the second rather than restricts it.  Not common in
>>Lojban, which is whyt I did not see it.
>
>Interesting. It *could* mean that, but I hadn't thought of it, (except in
>the sense that all English prose is poetry.) I meant:
>
>double(plus(un(good)))
>
>which might cover everything from "existential angst" to "there's a rock in
>my shoe" to "Michael Bolton" It is the linguistic version of "to a man
>whose only tool is a hammer, every problem is a nail."

Oh. I see what you mean. Yes. "doubleplusungood quality" is a two term
tanru where the first term exemplifies the second rather tha restricts it.
Actually, how *do* you do that in lojban (distinguish this usage from the
restrictive usage)?

Steven M. Belknap, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Clinical Pharmacology and Medicine
University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria

email: sbelknap@uic.edu
Voice: 309/671-3403
Fax:   309/671-8413