Re: loglan rapprochement orthography

>Date:         Wed, 14 Feb 1996 14:46:48 -0500
>From: John Cowan <cowan%LOCKE.CCIL.ORG@CUVMB.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU>

>la .iVAN. cusku di'e

>> Whatever it is phonetically, it is structurally not
>> a consonant (it can't be one of the {C}s in {CVCCV}, {CCV} and all the
>> other formulae), so I'd rather keep it graphically distinct from them
>> as well.  (This is also an argument against {h} in Roman.)

>doi .and., please take note.  This is the point we've been trying to make
>and (apparently) failing to.

Well, "graphically distinct" is in the eye of the beholder.  Is "a" really
"graphically distinct" from "s"?  No more so than any other two letters.
Yet one is a consonant and one is not.  "r" is sometimes a vowel, so it's
not strictly a consonant; do we need to make it "graphically distinct" as
well?  Those distinctions are dictated by the language and its users, and
change as those do, not by how other languages opt to use the same symbols.

~mark